Tuesday, November 15, 2011

What is a good book to buy for an "advanced" beginner golfer?

I started up the game late last year and fell in love with the game. This year I've already gone around 15 times with 7 or 8 times last year. So I'm very new at the game and haven't taken lessons but I feel very comfortable with the game and feel I am taking to the game mostly pretty naturally. I shoot in the lower 90's already but am looking for a good book. I heard Ben Hogan's five fundamentals was a good book. Anything to suggest?|||Hogan's Five Fundamentals should be on your shortlist.





Jack Nicklaus' Golf My Way...another iconic book that at least one or two pros (some Aussie named Greg Norman, and some kid from California named Eldrick both read it...they're doing okay, near as I can tell).





The Harvey Penick books...a series of short stories surrounded by lessons. Not bad, although Hogan and Nicklaus' books have stood up.|||Zen Golf, Zen Putting by Dr. Joe Parent. Also the Dave Pelz books are very good (Short game bible, putting bible). I would also recommend Stan Utley's books on the short game and putting. And Tour Tempo (I don't remember the author's name but its a very good book). I've never read hogan's book but i heard it was pretty good.|||"Play Golf to Learn Golf" by Micheal Hebron. He uses playing golf as a means of teaching the game instead of the technical mambo jambo other authors use to confuse you.|||I agree with leaf.





Ben Hogan's "Five Fundamentals"


Jack Nicklaus' "Golf My Way"


Harvey Penick's "Little Red Book," "Little Green Book," and "Game for a Lifetime"





There are thousands of other golf instruction books which can give varying degrees of success, but the ones listed above are generally considered the best place to start.





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment