Friday, November 18, 2011

How's my bag? Is an upgrade needed?

I'm a fifteen year old male who is attempting to make the golf team in a very competitive high school. I play 3 to 5 times a week and shoot low 80's to high 70's. I was wondering if my bags okay to compete in high school golf or if I need to upgrade to have an edge during tryouts. Tell me what you think and if you have any tips:





Burner '09 Driver and 3 wood (245 and 220 yards respectively)


Ben Hogan 3 hybrid (old, around 200 yards)


Nike Ignite Irons 4 through PW (105-185 yards) half an inch to a full inch too short


Cleveland 56* SW (Very old, worn out grooves 75 yards)


Snake Eyes 60* LW (New, 55 yards, great around the greens)


Scotty Cameron Putter (Old, bought off of craigslist)





How's it look? Any advice helps, thanks. Tryouts are in about 3 weeks.|||As a high school player myself, here's my evaluation:





1. Driver and 3 wood are fine. After about 2-3 years, their technology may become obsolete (along with every other driver after 2-3 years).


2. My dad has an old Hogan hybrid he used for 3 years and he loved it. It's a matter of preference, but if you want an upgrade, check out Nickent hybrids (they're out of business now, but it's not because of their hybrids. They were solid. I owned one for two years.) or Tour Edge (titanium is a softer metal, which helps feel and distance. Tour Edge has titanium cup faces on all of their woods and hybrids)


3. Ball striking is very, very important in high school golf, where one bad hole can ruin an entire round. Get fitted for iron shafts (steel for control, graphite for distance) and have them installed in your Ignites (if you want to upgrade, check out the Titleist AP1's or the PING i15's).


4. Worn out grooves aren't good, especially on wedges, and it's important to have matching wedges so the feel is consistent with each one, so get the same Snake Eyes wedge you have in 56*)


5. Putting is all feel. Whatever gets the ball in the hole is what you should use. Scotty's are great (I use one), I also like Rife putters and SeeMore putters aren't bad either.


6. Make sure you use a good ball. I won't recommend any to you, you should get fitted for one.





Good luck this year.|||Well, the Taylormade Burner's are great clubs, no need for an upgrade there! I would invest in a new hybrid maybe even a burner hybrid to add to your set of woods, if not check out some hybrids at your local shop. The ignite irons are great clubs, but if they're too short they are pretty useless. You could just buy the same set but slightly longer or you could look at some slightly more expensive irons like my personal faves the Callaway X-22's and get a custom fit.





I would get a new sand wedge, if you have money to burn go ahead and buy a vokey wedge as they are amazing shot savers, if not go for another cleveland or my personal fave the Nike Vr which i recently tried on course, it's an amazing club. Finally for putters just go to a shop and test them out because it's a matter of personal preference really.





Hope this helps mate :D|||There's an old saying about the indian or the arrow.......





Aside from the worn out grooves on the 56*, everything else sounds OK.....the highest tech clubs in regard to new technology are the TM Burner woods you have.......I like the 3 hybrid as your bridge between the irons and woods and if you hit it consistently then "don't fix what ain't broke!".





Your yardages sound pretty solid for 15, although I would suggest maybe having a pro work with you on the driver distance (But don't sacrifice accuracy for distance!).





If you're scoring that well at 15, then spend alot of hours on your short game, especially lag putting. 2 putting from 40 feet instead of 3 or even 4 putting will make a huge difference. That was advice my son received from Hank Haney himself. He took it to heart and his putting stats were fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment